Friday, April 21, 2006

The Feast - A reflection on Holy Thursday


Holy Thursday was awesome! The anticipation had built up throughout Lent and was finally released in a joyous celebration of the institution of the Eucharist (the Last Supper). We had finally entered into the Triduum.


I am often overwhelmed with two aspects of the Eucharist - the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus made present in what was ordinary bread and wine (1 Corinthians 11:23-26). The first is the intimacy of Communion and the second is how heaven and earth join in the celebration together.


Intimacy

I am what you might call a "finicky" eater. I don't just put anything in my mouth, although I am sure healthy-diet purists would cringe at some the fast food I love to eat. I am picky about what I want to eat. I can even remember being concerned about how Communion would taste when I was a child. Jesus chose to become present to us in a way that we could consume him. God wants us to be that close. "Take and eat, this is my Body..." Wow!


True Communion

Every time we celebrate Mass we are joined by the angels and saints in heaven. We are getting a taste of the Eternal Banquet. Have you ever really thought about that. Heaven and earth join together. Thing of all your loved ones that have gone before us. You want to be close to them? Go to Mass!


Bringing It Altogether in Service

I will write more about these two concepts later, but I wanted to mention them, because these things happen every day at Mass, but on Holy Thursday, there is just something unique about the experience. Maybe it is because of the call to service that is made so abundantly clear on this night. Before he gave us himself in the Eucharist, Jesus showed us how to serve. I can totally relate to Peter in this scene. Jesus is washing the feet of his followers. Can you imagine having the Son of God wash your stinking, dirty feet? I would have been like Peter.


"Lord, are you going to wash my feet? Sorry, but no, you will never wash my feet. I should be washing yours with my tears and hair like that hysterical woman. I am a sinner. You are my Lord."


"Cool it, Rocky. Sit down or you will have no part of me."


"Then dunk my head as well! Wash me clean!"


(based on John 13)


After this Jesus tells them, "Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."


So, for me Holy Thursday comes down to this: Jesus wants to be with us so badly that he lets us consume him, and he wants us to be like him so much that he showed us how in the simplest of ways - a basin and a towel.


Finally, here is a song that I wrote a few years ago about my longing for the Christ in the Eucharist. It is called "The Feast". We sang it on Holy Thursday. If you would like the sheet music leave a comment.


Peace.

No comments: