Thursday, June 01, 2006

What is a hero? Car crash in front of Gunderson High School.


I have struggled with wether or not to post anything about this, but it has had a major affect on me.

This morning there was a car crash in front of the high school in my neighborhood. I just happened to be the one behind the car that flipped over. As I rounded the bend in the road, I saw debris fly in the air and onto the road. I did not see the car, but I knew a car must have hit one of the palm tress that divide Chynoweth Ave. As the car came into view, my "what happened?" curiosity and tiny amount of fear turned into horror. The car was flipped on its side on top of one of the small trees with a leg hanging out the window. I ran to the car to help the driver. It was then that I realized that this was not going to be pretty. As I approached the car it caught fire. I was afraid the car was going to blow up. So were the others that were now getting out of their cars to help.

I could not get the young man out of the car, because I needed someone to hold the door. I was not even sure he was alive. A man nearby wanted to help, but was afraid of the fire. We called for a fire extinguisher, which luckily someone had. It was then that I noticed a pair of legs under the car that were now catching fire. I also noticed that the driver's head was split open with a gash that travelled the circumference of his head that was bleeding badly.

After the fire was out, the other man held the door up as I pulled the young man from the car. He moaned and began to regain consciousness. I took him to the side of the road, while others bravely worked on getting the passenger, a young high school girl, out of the car. They called for a knife to cut her out of her seat belt.

I asked the young man (the driver) his name, he told me and then he began asking nonsensical questions. He did not know where he was or what had happened. I told him he had been in a car accident and he asked me if there was anyone in the car with him. I told him that there was. He then realized it was his girlfriend and he began to panic. All I could do was try to keep him lying down and calm. I did not even know if the girl was alive. Then the paramedics arrived. All I could do was pray.

After we were questioned and told we were free to go, I left the scene. I had to circle back around my neighborhood to go back home, but as I passed my church, I pulled in and went to the chapel. I wept the hardest I have in years. I was overwhelmed as I sat in the presence of Christ with this young man's blood on my clothes. Fear, terror, shame, anger, doubt, frustration, pride, sadness - these are the emotions of the moment and of the day.

People have said I am a hero, that I saved this boy's life. I doubt that. The man with the fire extinguisher might have saved all our lives, but I don't think I saved this boy's life. Did I overcome my terror to help him, yes. Did I give him some comfort in an awful situation - I hope so.

I am struggling with my pride. I honestly believe, that I just happened to be the guy on the scene. If it was not me, it would have been someone else. There is a part of me, however, that wants some glory for the role I played, and it makes me sick. For example, I am a little ticked that the news story makes it sound like he climbed out of the car screaming that his girlfriend was trapped in the car. That is not what happened. So, am I ticked because the story was inaccurate, or that it did not recognize what I did? Does it really matter. This all sounds stupid, and the few people that read this may think I am just beating myself up over nothing (see why I have thought about not posting anything). I just want to keep reminding myself that this was not about me. Tonight there are two young people in critical condition and two families that are seriously hurting. My heart and my prayers go out for them. I ask you to join with me in praying for them.

3 comments:

FCPWIZ said...

Well Scott, you did the best you could and were smart enough to help and to bring God along with you. I know that our humaness wants to get all the glory but come on. You are human. Besides I think we taught you all to be too humble. It was what our families taught us. Just be glad that you were able to help and hope for the best.

Watching the Sun's tonight. Looking pretty good after a tough 1st half. It would be fun to see them win it all. At least get to the finals...


Dad

Just a friend said...

I don't know if you will read this but that young woman is one of my.best friends and her bf is a scum bag, don't bang yourself over the head. He is a human I think but not one worth living because he has put her through hell and back. She is such an inoccent lost soul that has to lay in a bed 24/7 connected to a respirator. Unfortunately she got the worst end of things but she has faith that God left her here for a purpose. Thank you for finding the strength during a situation like that.

sthomas said...

Thank you for your comment. I have often wondered what happen to her and pray for her and others involved as I drive by the accident site. May God bring her peace and healing and cover her with his grace in the midst of her suffering. Even though we don't understand it, I do believe our suffering is redemptive, especially when we ask God to join it with the suffering of his Son for sins of the world. Grace and peace, Scott