Sunday, May 28, 2006

Everyone Needs a Cheering Section


Yesterday, I needed to get myself out of the house. I had been stuck inside most of the day, and I felt like getting outside and getting my body moving a little. I went outside to shoot some hoops. Our neighbor's 2 year old twins were outside with their cousins (2 and 5 I think). As I began to shoot I heard the girls yell, "Yea!" They were standing at the end of the court about 100 yards away watching me shoot baskets. Every time I made a shot they applauded and squealed with delight. Any time I would miss, I would hear something like, "Aaaahhh, he missed." Needless to say this motivated me to make more shots. As I warmed up, I began feeling it and was making shots pretty consistently. If I missed a few in a row, I would run in with a layup just to hear the cheers. I could not help but smile.

This got me thinking about life a little (because we all know sport is really just a metaphor about life, although we usually think of baseball for some reason). Couldn't we all use our own personal cheering squad? Wouldn't be great if every time we did something good we heard delighted cheers? And when we fail, wouldn't it be great to hear them saying, "Ah man, you were this close! Try again! You can do it!". Jesus, told us in Luke 15:10, "In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents." Our cheering squad is in heaven. Can you imagine God the Father and Jesus Christ, his son, jumping up from there thrones and giving each other high fives when we turn from our sin? When we say "No!" to that nagging temptation we always give into. When we say, "I can't do this alone. Please send me your grace." Okay, it may not be high fives, but there is much rejoicing. Yea!


God bless you.

No comments: