Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Life or Death - Does Vengeance Bring Healing?

My brother is much better at blogging every day. He strikes a wonderful balance of thought provoking issues and frivolity. After a plethora of fun yesterday, he switched gears to get us all thinking. I originally thought about just leaving a comment, but with a title like "Tough Day to be Catholic" how could I pass it up, and I needed a topic anyway. If this posting does not provoke comments, then I know I am writing to no one. ("Is there anybody...out there?" - Roger Waters)

So his post today was about Al Qaeda terrorist Zacarias Moussaoui and the death penalty. I agree with Bill, it is indeed tough to be Catholic, but not just today. Who deserves to live and who deserves to die? Many narrow it down to what they believe is a simple matter of guilt and innocence. Moussaoui is guilty of a crime that in part changed this nation forever. The men that truly bear the guilt of the death of thousands of U.S. citizens died with their victims - a very unsatisfactory cup for those thirsting for blood.

Throwing Stones
"If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." - John 8:1-11

Or if you look at it from another certain point of view...

"Luke, don't give in to hate -- that leads to the dark side." - Obi-wan "Ben" Kenobi - The Empire Strikes Back

(hey - a pun and a Star Wars trilogy quote in one post! Oh and parenthesis too! I know at least Bill is laughing.)

Anyway, back to the real issue. Hate and sin.

There are plenty of scripture passages that support capital punishment. Here is an interesting article that goes into great detail about it. But, what is our true motivation? I believe capital punishment is a product of sin (not just the sin of the convict).

Kevin Sanders of Logos Ministries describes sin as alienation that leads to separation that leads to sinful acts that cascade down through generations.

Sin is a vicious cycle. Jesus asks us to look beyond our hate ("love your enemies") and to forgive ("Forgive us our debts as we also have forgiven our debtors") so that we can break the cycle of sin. That is hard! Does that mean there should be no restitution. Of course not. But killing a killer brings about nothing of true lasting value.

Does Vengeance bring peace of mind?
The thing that I find most striking about the need for vengeance is how we choose to hang on to hate. I have seen countless interviews with family members of murder victims where they say something to the effect of "I will never forgive him, I hope he rots in hell!" These quotes come before and after the execution of the murderer. This shows me that the death penalty does not bring peace to the families of the victims. I think that is incredibly sad.

I understand the anger. I even understand the hate. I selfishly pray that I never endure the same pain first hand. I also pray that we don't let these sins take even more victims - our souls.

2 comments:

Kyrie Drake said...

Well said.

After reading Bill's post and now yours the tought that keeps coming back to me is that I'd rather see Moussaoui in heaven rather than hell. If we execute him now, there is no time for repentance. Even if it takes his entire lifetime in prison, I'd rather give him the time to come to true repentance.

I found that a hard statement to write. It means giving up my hate and anger, and sometimes I just don't want to.

sthomas said...

Yes, it is very hard to give up our hate and anger. I believe we can only do it with grace. May God keep pouring it over you and your family. I have the greatest respect and admiration for those who protect and serve our country.

Peace and grace,
Scott